Monday, September 17, 2007

"Guitar Methods" Artist of the Moment








Most notable publications these days like to run the gamut of latest gear, a few shredders and wannabe rock gods, and if we're lucky a good lesson or 2 thrown in. It's really quite a shame that the acoustic guitar often ends up neglected, as well as it's benefit to popular music.

Lately the technicians of modern acoustic guitar incorporate tapping, interesting rhythmic techniques, and alternate tunings that breed incredible harmonic convergences. One of the fathers of this style of acoustic music is Michael Hedges, may he rest in peace.

Artistry and skill have always combined wonderfully on the acoustic guitar in a way that truly can inspire us to re-visit the instrument. The following are some examples that should motivate you as much as they have me.

So, if you haven't already caught these videos kicking around the net, check them out here and let me know what you think.





Now for #2...



This young axeman is Justin King. A few subscribers had emailed me his stuff and I just had my first chance to really look over his work this morning. I immediately thought of Leo Kottke and obviously Michael Hedges, but according to Justin he had been experimenting with his tapping approach long before hearing of these cats. It's also worth mentioning that he doesn't listen to much acoustic guitar music.

I can really appreciate his rhythmic approach, the chops in his right hand could impress any percussionist, and his tapping skills are really quite impressive by any standard. Judging on what I have heard since checking him out, Justin's songwriting skills are on par with his obviously creative approach to guitar, so I am certainly keeping him high on my list when I look for new guitar methods - and for some new material for my Ipod :-).

His website is very well designed. I am not sure how easily you would find his material at the local CD joint, I guess that depends on what part of the world you are in. Might I might suggest that it is always worth it to support your peers and any new talent in the music community, so look for his material online if you like it. ;-)

Another interesting player in this vain is Andy Mckee. Here's a video to look over.



To quote Don Ross, "Andy is the most innovative and exciting fingerstyle guitarist to emerge in decades."

They both impress the heck out of me. If you like them, support their effort!

No comments:

Support Guitarmethods